Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Perks me up!

I dropped by NDP candidate Gord Perks' campaign office today. I was hoping to feel pumped up and inspired like I did when I attended his nomination meeting, but it was not to be. There were only a couple people in the entire office and it looked like absolutely nothing was happening. The signs aren't in yet, even as Mario Silva slathers Bloor Street in Liberal red. Of course, he is the incumbent, but come on, people! Gord was declared our candidate well over a month ago! I think this riding is winnable, but only if the NDP effort is a well oiled machine. Sadly I saw no evidence of that today. I was greeted with the same level of enthusiam I'd expect from a bank teller. Still, it is early days and perhaps I'm reading too much into a slow Tuesday afternoon. I've volunteered to go in on the weekend. Hopefully by then I will see a spark.

On an unrelated topic, my wife and I stayed home with the kid this weekend, but took turns going across the street to the Paradise Cinema to see The Constant Gardener. It was one of the best movies I've seen all year, so check it out if you get a chance. It makes our politics seem pretty tame by comparison.

No comments: