Wednesday, May 31, 2006

End of an Era-again

I was sad to learn that a number of Festival Cinemas, including The Paradise which is just steps away from our house, will be closing at the end of June. Apparently it's just impossible to make a go of "the Nabes" these days. If I had an extra couple million dollars lying around I would be tempted to buy The Paradise and give it a go. You would need a completely new business model, but it seems like there must be a way to make these little local movie houses profitable. I think one factor would have to be really great projection and sound as well as comfort and style. The Paradise never had any of that, but I still loved to be able to go across the street and see a film on the big screen.
The Paradise closed once a few years ago and came back. I hope it can happen again, but I have my doubts. I wonder if it could be run as a non-profit community project.

No comments: