Friday, April 21, 2006

CFC, Not 4 Me

A couple weeks ago I had an interview for the Editor's lab at the Canadian Film Centre. It is a program where you basically pay 5 grand to take half a year just practicing the art of dramatic film editing. I was hoping the interview would be a chance to learn a bit more about the program but it turned out to be a pretty one sided affair, where I was expected to sell myself to a panel of 8 people or so. I thought I did a reasonable job, but my misgivings must have shown through, because yesterday I got a call telling me that they decided I wasn't right for the program. Fair enough. I'm inclined to say the feeling is mutual. But I do wonder just who the program IS for. Several years back a friend of mine was similarly rejected, presumably for lack of experience. At my interview they suggested I had too much. The thing is, now that I'm at a point in my career where I'm working steadily, albeit on mid range doc TV shows, it is a pretty big deal to put that aside for six months and actually pay for the privilege of practicing what I'm already well paid to do. The Film Centre folks never really sold me, so perhaps I'm lucky to land in the out pile.
One irony is that while I make my living editing documentary TV, the few times I have cut drama I have found it much easier than docs anyhow. It ain't rocket surgery!

On another topic, I go so long between posts that I often have to sign back in to post. Trouble is I usually can't remember my password. But the strange thing is that just by clicking the "forgot password" link, and then clicking the link they email you, access is restored without ever having to actually type in the password. Not exactly secure, not that it matters.

No comments: