Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Films etc.

It's been a crappy summer for moviegoing. I haven't made it out to a flick in 2 months, for a lot of reasons. Too busy with work, too hot, and nothing much out that made us feel like hauling our ass downtown. I'm counting on the Film Fest to make up for it.

We did catch a good film on DVD the other night. A futuristic thriller called Cypher starring Jeremy Northam and Lucy Liu. It was directed by Vincenzo Natali and looked like it was filmed here in Toronto. I liked it better than Cube and way better than his piece of junk called Nothing. Much like Egoyan, I think Natali is destined to make better films when he doesn't write 'em. My question is why did this movie never see the light of day? A year or two ago Alliance/Atlantis made a big push to try to market a terrible film called Foolproof which was supposed to mark a turning point in Canadian distribution. It got an American style P&A campaign but still tanked. This movie was much better but never played in theatres as far as I know.

Anyway, if anybody is reading this, check it out.

No comments: